From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 06:44:41
1 On Thu, 2021-09-30 at 08:40 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Would it be possible to have some switch (e.g. --style=legacy) that
5 > controls this new vs. the old behaviour? Would perhaps allow
6 > applications that parse the output to work via setting this in the
7 > global opts.
8
9 Patches welcome. It shouldn't be hard, my commit shows which files need
10 to be edited to alter the prefixes and how to pass them into ebd.
13 > In addition, much like the colour map, how do you see this change in
14 > light of eclasses, init-scripts, etc. that also use the same scheme as
15 > Portage at the moment? Would you expect to change those too at some
16 > point?
17
18 Eclasses are supposed to use standard einfo, elog... functions, so they
19 should just work™. If someone's reinventing the wheel, it's not my
20 problem.
21
22 Init scripts aren't supposed to be used inside the PM, so that's out of
23 scope.
24
25 > Final question, am I understanding correctly that normal lines are not
26 > prefixed with something? Would it be, for consistency, alignment, and
27 > certainty of selecting rows something to use a prefix for those lines
28 > too (assuming they aren't at this point)?
29
30 I don't know, we've never done that. I suppose it would be possible but
31 it is even more controversial and unlike the proposed changes, it would
32 actually require mangling the process output.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny