From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Code-In: 13-18 year olds in open source
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:11:28
1 On 23:19 Mon 25 Oct , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Based on our participation in the Summer of Code, Google invited us to
3 > apply for their revived program for 13-18 year olds called Google
4 > Code-In [1-2]. The basic idea is that students will complete a series of
5 > small tasks rather than one huge project, and the tasks don't even have
6 > to be related (or even involve programming!).
7 >
8 > One really neat feature about GCI is that projects can be anything --
9 > documentation, translation, coding, research, whatever. If you've been
10 > feeling that your ideas are left out by GSoC, this is your chance.
11 >
12 > After talking with a few devs, there seemed to be a lot of interest in
13 > us getting involved. The application deadline is very soon -- this
14 > Friday! We need a good ideas list by then if we're going to apply. I
15 > created a draft ideas page [3]; please fill it in by the end of the day
16 > on this Thursday.
17 >
18 > We're looking for tasks that would take a student 13-18 years old
19 > roughly 1-3 days to complete. Ideas might include writing man pages,
20 > translating a few webpages, perhaps some relatively straightforward
21 > bugfixes, etc. More general ideas are on our ideas page and the GCI
22 > homepage. Because tasks are so short, mentoring will not be a major
23 > burden, so don't let that hold you back.
24
25 We now have 2 ideas. It's not even worth applying unless we can get
26 closer to 10. If nobody puts up more ideas in the next ~6 hours, we
27 won't be participating this year.
30 Thanks,
31 Donnie
32