From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New eclass patches.eclass
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 21:33:20
1 On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 04:39:36PM +0700, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
2 > HI there!
3 >
4 > Some time ago I invented patches.eclass, which facilitates my work with
5 > patches, and I would like you to express your opinion about it and whether it
6 > is worth committing in gentoo repo.
7 While I like it for ease of rapid development, conceptually, this
8 worries me.
9
10 Presently, if you add a new patch, you need to edit an ebuild, which
11 provides a strong hint that you might need to revbump the ebuild per
12 development best practices:
13 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/index.html
14
15 If this eclass was used, there would no longer be revbumps, and you
16 could not revert to the old version simply by reinstalling the prior
17 version.
18
19 Is there a way we can get the best of both worlds?
22 Robin Hugh Johnson
23 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
24 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
25 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
26 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136