From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPENDing on packages from overlays?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:26:08
1 On 04/23/2011 06:05 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >
4 >> If e.g. kde and sunrise overlay both provide an mta, they would both
5 >> need a fork of virtual/mta. Now one of those forks will be preferred
6 >> and used, e.g. the kde one. This means, that you cannot install the
7 >> mta from sunrise to satisfy the virtual without additional manual
8 >> work.
9 >
10 > So far this is only a hypothetical example, as there is no MTA package
11 > in the KDE overlay. As long as sunrise is the only overlay providing
12 > such a package, I don't see how maintaining a fork of the virtual
13 > would be problematic. Any collision scenarios can be solved when they
14 > really arise (if ever).
15 >
16 >> The only way to solve this properly without asking the user to
17 >> manually adjust things is to just add all mtas from overlays (maybe
18 >> restricted to dev-controlled or -managed overlays) to virtual/mta in
19 >> the main tree.
20 >
21 > The additional entries in the any-of-many dependency are not an issue.
22 > But the problem that I see with this approach is that a maintainer of
23 > a package depending on the virtual would have to test if his package
24 > works with those additional dependencies from overlays. I'd rather not
25 > impose such an additional burden upon maintainers of main tree
26 > packages.
27
28 If people are going to use overlays to override the virtuals anyway,
29 then the net effect is practically the same. The only difference is
30 whether the new-style virtual is provided by the main tree or by the
31 overlay.
32 --
33 Thanks,
34 Zac