From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] die/QA notice for do* failure?
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:59:52
1 On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:18:23 +0530
2 "Arun Raghavan" <arunisgod@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > We were just discussing if it makes sense to either die or issue a QA
4 > notice if one of the do* functions fail. It turns out that there's
5 > already a bug for this [1]. This potentially applies to all helper
6 > functions that don't currently die on failure.
7
8 This isn't as simple as you think, since quite a few of these utilities
9 are called using 'xargs' and so have to be binaries. Whilst Paludis can
10 deal with external binaries triggering a die because exheres needs it
11 (exheres has everything as fatal except where preceeded by 'nonfatal'),
12 I'm not sure that Portage can just now.
13
14 Also note that quite a few packages rely upon the current nonfatal
15 behaviour, so it'd need to be an EAPI bump...
18 Ciaran McCreesh