From: John McCaskey <jmccaskey1@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] hde and hdg (udma card)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:13:29
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Achim Gottinger" <320095285153-0001@××××××××.de>
3 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
4 Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 6:12 PM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] hde and hdg (udma card)
8 > John McCaskey wrote:
9 >
10 > > So I got the cd to boot now that I have the fixed file, however I
11 have
12 > > another little problem. My hard disks are on a udma100 card and show as
13 hde
14 > > and hdg in linux. The kernel supports the card and when booting off the
15 cd
16 > > everything is fine and I fdisked and installed just fine. I can even
17 boot
18 > > ok as grub sees the drives fine. However, once I am booted I can not
19 get to
20 > > them because in /dev I only have up through hdd. So I can't mount my
21 boot
22 > > partition to setup the grub menu file etc. It seems like this is a
23 simple
24 > > problem of adding them to /dev but I don't know how to do that. If
25 someone
26 > > can help me out that would be great.
29 > Hmm, boot from the cd, mount your root partition to /mnt/gentoo, chroot
30 there,
31 > cd to /dev and
32 > then type
33 > >MAKEDEV hde
34 > >MAKEDEV hdg
37 > Or another solution add "devfs=mount" to your kernels boot options in the
38 grub
39 > bootmenu. That means you use
40 > the devfs filesystem and devices are generated automatic on demand.
41 >
42 > achim~
46 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
47 > > gentoo-dev@g.o