From: "Vítor Brandão" <vitorbrandao.pt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:17:36
1 2012/5/24 Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Thursday, May 24, 2012 06:33:53 AM Duncan wrote:
4 > > Dan Douglas posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 01:04:48 -0500 as excerpted:
5 > > > On Thursday, May 24, 2012 07:56:58 AM Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > >> On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:14:53 -0500
7 > > >>
8 > > >> Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >> > If not I will be leaving Gentoo for Funtoo in the near future,
10 > though
11 > > >> > there are disadvantages to doing this I don't look forward to
12 > dealing
13 > > >> > with.
14 > > >>
15 > > >> Most of us will probably be doing that :P.
16 > > >
17 > > > Eh sorry that wasn't meant to be antagonistic. I'll still have Gentoo
18 > > > boxen to deal with. I just need to be able to use git on the tree (even
19 > > > without the full history is perfectly fine) to ease the difficulty of
20 > > > local overlay management. Glad to hear that will be possible, or at
21 > > > least somewhat easier.
22 > >
23 > > FWIW, I as a user would sure like a git-based tree. Doing git
24 > whatchanged
25 > > searches on individual files and being able to track my last checkout and
26 > > roll back to it, or to a point between it and current HEAD, are extremely
27 > > useful. I haven't thought of it much until now, but I think maintaining
28 > > overlays as simple branches would be great, as well.
29 >
30 > I don't think doing a branch of the entire tree is a good idea (well
31 > maybe...). I was thinking more along the lines of subtree merges into a
32 > local
33 > overlay, or perhaps submodules. To do that currently (I think) would
34 > require
35 > taking the rsync tree and putting that into a repo, and trying to keep it
36 > synchronized. Plus in the process you lose all correspondance with upstream
37 > commits so that logs and diffs become meaningless.
38 > --
39 > Dan Douglas
42 git++
45 Vítor Brandão (noisebleed)