From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:11:23
1 Carsten Lohrke <carlo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > How do you want not to enforce it?
4 Have you actually read the proposal? It's quite sensible and is entitled:
5
6 "Proposal: Integrated boot themes on LiveCDs and installations"
7
8 I suppose that the themes would be defaulted to on the LiveCDs and optional
9 for regular installations - typical emerge-if-you-need-it situation.
10
11 > Still, the basic question is: Why!?
12 Because it may lead to the creation of well thought out and integrated themes
13 for several programs that are able to use them? Including more robustness
14 and/or functionality similar to the one that the gfxboot provides?
15
16 > There's no benefit for the user, who will choose whatever theming
17 > he wants anyways.
18 I for one would be delighted if there was such new set of themes. I'd use
19 them right away. To be honest, I tend to match my bootsplash theme with the
20 one that's used on the current LiveCD. Somehow I feel I need that when people
21 come and ask me "What Linux distro do you use?". If it happens that they ask
22 when I boot my laptop they can watch the nice graphical progress (bootsplash)
23 and finally my gdm theme. Having a Gentoo theme here helps to associate the
24 theme with the distribution. Nobody forced me to do this. I just like it :)
25
26 > Imho it's superfluous
27 To be honest, there are not so many themes out there that are worth
28 installing. A good set of Gentoo themes is one of the best ideas
29 I've heard for a long time. (!)
30
31 > and therefore wasted time.
32 I understand your point. But are you sure that spreading the "negative energy"
33 and killing the idea is best? No progress is done without breaking rules
34 and working against the inertia of habits.
35
36 > I for one favor to stick with that, what upstream provides.
37 I guess you should be able to leave with that. No one would "force" you to
38 switch the splashes/background/themes unless you wanted it.
41 And while we are at it, is there any chance that the bug #124920
42 could be taken into account while creating new gdm theme?
43
44 Regards,
45 Wiktor
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list