From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ATAPI IDE CD-RW under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:56:19
1 I have one cd drive in my system, which is a SONY IDE CD-RW. I have a
2 couple questions: there seem to be a lot of docs about this on the net,
3 but there are a lot of differences.
4
5 In my kernel, I have IDE-CD compiled in (as Y, not M), and I compiled scsi
6 emulation as modules, so I have sg, sr_mod, and ide-scsi modules available
7 to load. I don't want to recompile the kernel now to de-select ide-cd
8 support or modularize it, so I am wondering how to beat it.
9
10 I notice that my ide-scsi doesn't load at boot, even though I use a kernel
11 boot parameter of "hdc=ide-scsi". My sg and sr_mod do load, but without
12 ide-scsi running "cdrecord -scanbus" doesn't yield anything. When I
13 insert the module myself from the terminal (/sbin/insmod ide-scsi), then
14 cdrecord -scanbus reads "scsibus0: 0,0,0 0) 'SONY blah blah blah'", as it
15 should.
16
17 But, why doesn't my system load scsi emulation automatically, before
18 ide-cd detects the drive, even with my kernel boot parameter? What can I
19 do here? Redhat users can include "/sbin/insmod ide-scsi" into
20 /etc/rc.local or something, but I am not sure what is the equivalent of
21 this in Gentoo. Where can I stick this?
22
23 Also, I do include various aliasing lines in /etc/modules.autoload, such
24 as "alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi" and "alias scd0 sr_mod".
25
26 I did uncomment lines appropriate for CD-RW in /etc/devfsd.conf, but do I
27 need to make an entry in /etc/fstab what includes this "scsi" device, or
28 will the line for cdrom automatically take care of that?
29
30 Any help appreciated. Thanks!
31 Denis