From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:28:29
1 On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:40:23 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:52:30 +0200
5 > "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > In general it depends what you're doing. Personally I find inline
8 > > emerge --info quicker to process, as I tend to do that by scrolling
9 > > up and down a bug when trying to determine what triggers a bug.
10 > > However that's for "normal" bugs - I don't spend much time on
11 > > stabilisation bugs.
12 >
13 > "Personally" is meaningless in this context.
14
15 "Personally" is critical. Part of my point was that whatever way it's
16 done, it will be better for some and worse for others. In other words,
17 what is "better" is subjective. In order to decide to change how
18 things are currently done, you need to show that it is better for a
19 majority of the people affected.
20
21 > The inline `emerge info`
22 > is quicker to process for you, not for other-arch devs out there. For
23 > them the info is useless. Stabilisation bugs in this context are
24 > bugs CC'd to many arch aliases (see below for a possible solution).
25 >
26 > > > you have to wade through all the AT spam to find out what is being
27 > > > changed over time. It's best to have it in attachments, I think.
28 > > >
29 > > > Besides, you're wrong. ATs can add comments to attachments
30 > > > informing their arch devs of success or failure, and name the
31 > > > `emerge info` attachment properly so everybody knows what the
32 > > > attachment actually is (and when to ignore it).
33 > >
34 > > In what way am I wrong? I never said AT's can't add comments.
35 >
36 > ATs can inform you whether something works in the comment to an
37 > attachment, which, unlike the attachment, will end up in my mailbox. I
38 > have no problems with short comments like:
41 > ------- Comment #5 from jer@g.o 2006-08-01 02:47 PST -------
42 > Created an attachment (id=93193)
43 > --> (http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=1&action=view)
44 > emerge info
45 >
46 > Works Great!!!1omg
47
48 ok; that makes better sense.
49
50 > > Effectively what you're saying is transcribe the emerge info into
51 > > the attachment name and attachment comment - which effectively
52 > > makes it in-line again.
53 >
54 > No, I meant put the `emerge info` in the attachment, describe the
55 > attachment properly ("emerge info" would do) and comment on the
56 > attachment submission with a statement pertaining to the success or
57 > failure of the test run. This can all be achieved in a single submit
58 > and it doesn't burden arch devs and bugzilla with lengthy comments.
59
60 Doesn't make the slightest difference to the burden on bugzilla,
61 whether they're inline or attachments.
62
63 Whether it's a burden on arch devs or not, you'd have to poll.
64
65 If you do go this route, I suggest the attachment title be "PASS
66 (emerge info)" or "FAIL (emerge info)"; easier to parse the attachment
67 list. Also allows you to process email by just the subject header.
68
69 > > Rule 1 in problem reporting - report your exact configuration and
70 > > exactly what you see, in the first instance, do not attempt to
71 > > interpret until you have that data recorded.
72 >
73 > Could you consider having ATs report the exact configuration
74 > elsewhere? In normal bugs, encouraging users to post their emerge info
75 > is a good thing. In stabilisation bugs, with well-instructed ATs
76 > posting comments, there's no need to do all that.
77
78 Well, I do think the report of the configuration the AT had at the time
79 of the test should be held as close as possible to the place where it
80 has relevance. As far as this point is concerned, having it as an
81 attachment is fine. Having it posted on some website somewhere else as
82 others have suggested is a bad idea, I think.
83
84 > > Not sure I understand. Stabilisation bugs shouldn't be doing
85 > > problem resolution; if a bug is found during stabilisation testing
86 > > it should be raised as a normal bug and set as a dependency of the
87 > > stabilisation bug. If people are using stabilisation bugs for
88 > > development/bug fixing then they should stop doing so.
89 >
90 > N/A
91 >
92 > Stabilisation bugs should be short and simple. If the stabilisation
93 > target changes half way through (a revision bump perhaps, which
94 > happens quite often, or an extra dep, which happens quite often as
95 > well), arch devs need to be able to find that information quickly.
96 >
97 > > Well, it adds around 40 lines - I don't see that as a problem.
98 > > It's a good idea if the emerge info output is placed after whatever
99 > > comment is being made, so that if you don't care about it you can
100 > > just skip to the next message.
101 >
102 > Erm. It is a problem - I've explained why. It adds bloat and it clogs
103 > many arch devs' mailboxen with tons of useless info. Merrily skipping
104 > past it is impossible when a bug spans 5 instead of 2 pages because
105 > of 3 AT comments, interspersed with possibly useful comments. I guess
106 > you would feel the same way if I started inlining `emerge info` for
107 > all my HPPA systems. You'd have to parse each one of them just to
108 > find your own ATs' `emerge info` among mine.
109
110 I don't understand how you're getting many pages in one email - surely
111 each report by an AT is a separate comment and hence a separate
112 email, looking like:
113
114 ----
115 From: Mr Test
116 Subject: Stabilisation of <CPV>
117
118 Works Great!!!1omg
119
120 emerge info:
121 <40 lines>
122 ----
123
124 and that's all. If it's of no interest to you, surely you just use
125 "delete and next" rather than "mark read and next", whatever they are
126 in your email reader.
127
128 > > Stabilisation bugs by their very nature are temporary - they are
129 > > active for the time it takes to decide a package can be marked
130 > > stable. Once the package version is marked stable, the bug should
131 > > be closed. I don't see what the communication problem is.
132 >
133 > Your communication problem used to be that you want the AT's info
134 > ready to use. Your solution was to have ATs inline `emerge info` in
135 > bug comments. This solution benefits only you, not other arches's
136 > devs, and in fact, it annoys them. Please find a better solution.
137
138 I'll take "you" to mean "arch team members of arches with ATs" (rubbish
139 language, English). I don't have a problem as things stand now. I
140 might have a problem if all emerge info ends up in attachments (not
141 just for stabilisation bugs). To be honest, what goes on for
142 stabilisation bugs isn't of any direct concern to me as I don't involve
143 myself in stabilisation, but if you change the rule there it's likely
144 to be the rule across all of bugzilla and then it does concern me.
145
146 > One solution might be to open your own AT bug, make the stabilisation
147 > bug depend on it, and use the AT bug to have ATs post their `emerge
148 > info`. Then, when testing and stabilisation is finished for your arch,
149 > close the AT bug and remove your alias from the stabilisation bug's CC
150 > list. I for one could live with this solution to the problem, which I
151 > hope you understand by now.
152
153 Another idea is for ATs to attach emerge info if the package passes for
154 them, but in-line it if it fails. If the package fails on one arch for
155 a given set of USE/FEATURES, other arches may well be interested to
156 check if the failure also affects them.
159 Kevin F. Quinn