From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPv6 support in network initscripts
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:17:45
1 Why not make the script back out of everything its done? I.e., rather than downing the interface, unset any networking things it has set. Unconfigure the ip, etc.
2
3 A super network interface control script would be cool too, something that is kept up to date and understands all of the Linux networking features that may be applicable. Maybe like a single script that by itself is device agnostic (could configure a normal nic or a bridge interface or some other complex, abstract thing (with ipv4 and ipv6 support)) and figures out what it should do based on a plethora of directives in /etc/conf.d/net.
4
5 Like right now, I've got a bridge interface on my Gentoo box, but to run it I made a copy of the init.d script and put a couple bridging commands in there. It'd be cleaner if I could just inform it about bridging information in /etc/conf.d/net and the init script would understand and do it.
6
7 On Sat, 31 May 2003 23:29:27 -0400