From: Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts@××××××××××.uk>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, kosmikus <kosmikus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:18:29
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 14:47 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:42:14PM +0100, kosmikus wrote:
3 > >
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > Over in the Gentoo Haskell team we have this problem that one of our
7 > > ebuilds (gtk2hs) needs loads of memory to build. It uses this
8 > > preprocessor build tool that needs about 400Mb of memory (that's
9 > > resident RAM not swap friendly virtual space). This is not something we
10 > > can easily change.
11 >
12 > How is haskell only using "real" ram? The kernel should not prevent it
13 > from using swapable memory.
14
15 True, pages can be swapped out but this Haskell program has a large
16 active data set and so reads from all over the heap very frequently (not
17 to mention garbage collection which touches the whole heap every major
18 collection). So while pages can be swapped out the process will make
19 very little progress and at some point it seems that the OOM killer
20 steps in and shoots the wrong process.
21
22 At some point the wonders of virtual memory are not enough. I can't run
23 a weather simulation that needs 3Gb on my old 128Mb machine. It seems
24 that people cannot run this program that uses 400Mb address space on
25 their 256Mb machines.
26
27 So the question is can we help users from getting into trouble.
28
29 Duncan
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list