From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mirroring Gentoo project/team members on GitHub
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 06:01:20
1 Dnia 2015-08-13, o godz. 23:56:23
2 Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 08/13/15 02:15, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2015-08-12, o godz. 22:43:24 Dean Stephens
6 > > <desultory@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> On 08/11/15 10:32, Michał Górny wrote:
9 > >>> Hello, everyone.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Now that we're officially on git and can officially use pull
12 > >>> requests to provide rapid community interaction, it'd be
13 > >>> convenient to have a little better framework for pinging
14 > >>> package maintainers.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> With the unofficial mirror/pull request project, I was either
17 > >>> looking for project member GitHub accounts and pinging found
18 > >>> project members by name, or talking to them directly on IRC.
19 > >>> However, with the growth in number of pull requests this will
20 > >>> become more and more inconvenient. Therefore, I think it's time
21 > >>> to be able to mirror teams willing to work with GitHub
22 > >>> community there for easier 'pings'.
23 > >>>
24 > >>> I have two ideas right now:
25 > >>>
26 > >>> 1. creating GitHub Gentoo project teams corresponding to
27 > >>> willing Gentoo teams,
28 > >>>
29 > >>> 2. preparing lists of GitHub usernames on project wiki pages.
30 > >>>
31 > >>> Solution 1. is cleaner. In this case, we create GitHub teams
32 > >>> under the Gentoo projects, and add appropriate Gentoo
33 > >>> developers having GitHub accounts to the teams. Then, in PRs we
34 > >>> can just ping the whole team like @Gentoo/Qt or like.
35 > >>>
36 > >>> Solution 2. avoids adding any GitHub teams. In this case, in
37 > >>> team wiki page we collect team member usernames like "@Pesa,
38 > >>> @kensington, ..." so we could copy-paste it to pull requests.
39 > >>> We still require extra effort when 'assigning' PRs but at least
40 > >>> I don't have to lookup the same people over and over again.
41 > >>>
42 > >>> With some Wiki people help, we could even implement updating
43 > >>> GitHub teams automatically following Wiki member changes.
44 > >>>
45 > >>> Your thoughts?
46 > >>>
47 > >> Why not use LDAP?
48 > >
49 > > Because:
50 > >
51 > > a) LDAP is PITA,
52 > >
53 > > b) therefore almost nobody cares to update team listings except
54 > > for occasional updates when they happen to need to change SSH keys
55 > > or something,
56 > >
57 > > c) team listings in LDAP are cleartext and completely random.
58 > >
59 > So, to rephrase, you intend to hammer another LDAP shaped peg into a
60 > wiki shaped hole because you can't be bothered to write some simple
61 > wrappers for managing the data in LDAP; though you are perfectly
62 > willing to offload work onto the wiki team to support your idea.
63 >
64 > Exactly why should that be considered an acceptable solution?
65
66 Don't ask me. I was against keeping the official listings in MediaWiki,
67 I already complained that we can't list developers who are refusing to
68 create a Wiki account and that we lack any proper API to access those
69 listings.
70
71 Not to mention the second copy of partial metastructure in herds.xml
72 which I wanted removed but people liked it very much, thank you.
75 Best regards,
76 Michał Górny
77 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>