From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 08:17:36
1 Nicolas Sebrecht posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 14:44:25 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 07:58:35AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
4 >
5 >> > I would also re-iterate, as I'm sure you're aware .. there ARE
6 >> > differences between sbin and bin .. unless of course you spend all
7 >> > your time in a Rooted VM where it doesn't matter if you accidentally
8 >> > trash your system. Some of us maintain a sensible user/superuser
9 >> > distinction for a variety of reasons, and simplifying your filesystem
10 >> > to suit some particular package style doesn't really sound like good
11 >> > reasoning for causing a lot of headaches for maintainers and a distro
12 >> > overall.
13 >>
14 >> But... the real important distinction in terms of user vs. superuser
15 >> executables is file ownership and permissions, not the directory
16 >> they're in.
17 >
18 > No. With a lightweight / I can install systems with two root filesystems
19 > that I rsync once I'm sure there's no regression. If one won't boot
20 > after an upgrade, I can just reboot and select the other root filesystem
21 > in grub.
22 >
23 > This is much more easy than anything else.
24
25 Actually I do precisely that, with / itself, which here includes pretty
26 much everything the package manager installs (with the exception of a few
27 things in /var that need to be writable in normal operation, that are
28 symlinked to /home/var as my / is normally read-only mounted), including
29 the package database itself, so everything stays in sync with the package
30 database tracking it, on the same filesystem. =:^)
31
32 $ df /
33 Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
34 /dev/sda5 8192M 2819M 5132M 36% /
35
36 That's the working-copy. It's actually a two-device btrfs raid1, 8 GiB
37 per device (8 GiB partition on each of two SSDs). That already gives me
38 device redundancy.
39
40 The first backup is another 8 GiB, again actually two-device btrfs raid1,
41 8 GiB per device, on another partition on each of those ssds. That gives
42 me fat-finger and broken update redundancy.
43
44 The second backup is an 8 GiB reiserfs on spinning rust, giving me both
45 filesystem type redundancy because btrfs is still stabilizing, and a
46 second backup in case disaster strikes when I'm actually updating the
47 primary backup, taking out both it and the working copy.
48
49 All three are independently bootable from grub2 as installed on all three
50 devices, using the working copy /boot on one of the ssds, the primary
51 backup /boot on the other ssd, or the secondary backup /boot on the
52 spinning rust. /home similarly has a working copy raid1 btrfs on the
53 ssds, a primary backup on the ssds, and a reiserfs secondary backup on
54 spinning rust. There are further backups on USB tho I don't keep them as
55 current so if I actually had to fall back to them I'd have some work
56 ahead of me.
57
58 Actually, I don't even have to switch to the grub2 commandline to switch
59 between the three, either. They're all selectable directly from my
60 customized grub2 menu, as is init=/bin/bash, systemd emergency and rescue
61 mode, etc. Of course I can go grub commandline if needed, but it's not
62 needed for those entries as they're already available in the menu I've
63 setup. And of course the grub installation and corresponding /boot I use
64 is selectable directly from the BIOS.
67 What's nice about this is that the 8 GiB root is plenty big enough to
68 hold the entire working system, including all manpages, the X and KDE
69 install, etc, so not only do I have full documentation to work with while
70 I'm recovering my broken root, but I have a full X and kde-plasma, which
71 with /home or one of its backups gives me a fully customized kde install
72 as well. So I can load up X/kde-plasma, and fire up youtube for full-
73 monitor viewing say some club music videos to keep me awake on the 42-
74 inch, while I work from one of the backups to recover the working copy
75 with multiple konsole terminals on the 48-inch below it, and the system
76 performance graphs display on the 21-inch off to the side.
77
78 Try doing all /that/ in recovery mode from your "lightweight" / backup.
79 =:^)
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman