From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:08:25
1 Alec Warner posted <43D6B048.6010903@×××××××.edu>, excerpted below, on
2 Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:55:04 -0500:
3
4 > I guess the deal here is to not encourage this type of behavior;
5 > intentially breaking ~arch all the time and then making the arch teams
6 > "clean up" so to speak. I don't believe this to be the case here, I
7 > just don't want to see it become commonplace ;)
8
9 FW an ~arch user's opinion is worth:
10
11 This is my feeling as well. As Spyderous says, I'm ~arch because I want
12 to help out with bug reporting and the like, so I don't mind the
13 occasional deliberate breakage as long as it remains occasional, and
14 announced in advance where I'm likely too see it (here) as someone
15 following development in ordered to get a headsup on such things.
16
17 Personally, I'm already on modular-X, having unmasked it and tried it out
18 some weeks ago (and having tried it almost as soon as it was available in
19 the tree, but having it not work so I remasked it for a few weeks to let
20 it stabilize and until I had time to investigate my issues). Still, I've
21 gone thru the posted list, to see what there might apply to me, and am
22 aware of things just in case something breaks that was somehow missed.
23
24 Similarly with portage's use.default thing. I'm following it and have
25 in fact already tried a rename of the file in my cascading profile, then
26 an emerge -NuD world to see what it changed. In fact, I'm now
27 rsync-excluding use.default, and have gone thru and removed other
28 instances of it in my local tree instance as well, now that they are
29 rsync-excluded. Nothing's going to break for me on that day, as it has
30 already been taken care of.
31
32 The point being, as a responsible Gentoo user aka Gentoo sysadmin,
33 deliberately running ~arch, I do the due diligence necessary by following
34 this list and getting a headsup on the deliberate stuff well before it
35 hits.
36
37 Of course, we wouldn't be going thru the whole news GLEP process if
38 everybody did that, but unfortunately... . Still, IMO, if those that
39 don't, particularly those running ~arch, get a bit of breakage now and
40 then, maybe they'll learn to be a bit more careful.
41
42 Anyway, yes, I say the ground has been prepped, the warning given, it's on
43 ~arch which is by definition testing, so go for it! As long as it remains
44 something that when it happens, is in development for months first, and as
45 long as there are hints here during that time and more dire warnings a
46 week in advance, it's a good thing, not a bad thing, and as Spyderous
47 says, it's what ~arch users are signing up for by going ~arch in the first
48 place. If it breaks a few that didn't understand that, well, they'll know
49 it now!
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
55 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list