From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving functionality out of portage and into the tree
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:39:05
1 On Friday 30 July 2004 03:54, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > I fully support this as long as I'm in said group that can commit on
3 > these things or get a speedy response from somebody else that is.
4 > If initially if it's going to be limited I'd suggest the base-system,
5 > portage and toolchain herds.
6
7 I would personally like a new herd that is relatively small. The worst thing
8 that I can see happening by having these functions managed outside of portage
9 is that they become full of "if arch is this" or "if use has that". Adding
10 that sort of code would enable quick fixes now but would make things harder
11 to maintain in the long run, eventually creating a situation that is worse
12 than what we have now.
13
14 Regards,
15 Jason Stubbs