From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:14:00
1 Joe Peterson wrote:
2 >>> But what users *really* don't care about is EAPIs, and this GLEP would
3 >>> expose that technical detail to them in a very blatent way.
4 >> Anyone who cares about ebuilds at a file level has to care about EAPIs.
5 >
6 > Not really. A typical user does not need to know about EAPIs at all,
7 > but he might want to peruse the portage tree to look for ebuilds. He
8 > might also want to grep for KEYWORDS or whatever.
9
10 If the user knows that keywords are set by the KEYWORDS variable, then
11 she must be familiar with the EAPI. The meaning of the KEYWORDS variable
12 is defined by the EAPI.
13
14 >>> Along those lines, as I've said before, migrating to a new extension,
15 >>> *one-time*, as a solution to this, although not optimal, would be far
16 >>> more satisfactory than introducing a series of ever-changing
17 >>> extensions.
18 >> No it won't. It means future EAPIs will be restricted to some
19 >> particular source format.
20 >
21 > I assume you mean that EAPI needs to be in the file - again, is this
22 > bad? Many file formats specify a file format version as part of the file.
23
24 Sure. If current EAPI specified that a sequence of four bytes starting
25 at offset 0x10 is a little-endian magic number that is used to identify
26 an EAPI, that'd be all we want. However, current format definition is
27 rather complex; there's nothing as simple as "read several bytes at some
28 offset and use them".
29
30 Cheers,
31 -jkt