From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: What do you think about removing gtk-1.2 theme engines from tree?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:17:20
1 Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o> posted 20070225170755.4b1d6cbe@localhost,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:07:55 +0100:
3
4 > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:37:33 -0600
5 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Seriously, IMHO the less we have depending on GTK+-1 the better.
8 >> Others will disagree loudly.
9 >
10 > It makes sense slowly removing *applications* depending on gtk1. Themes
11 > should go last, along with gtk1 itself.
12 >
13 > Gtk1 is already ugly enough, do you want it to be even more ugly?
14
15 I think the idea is that it helps discourage new uptake, since it is on
16 its way to eventual removal. Keep in mind that those who have it already
17 merged along with their favorite theme can keep them in overlay, so
18 removing the themes from the tree simply keeps new users from merging
19 something that's already on its way out, only to have to deal with its
20 removal relatively soon (months?) thereafter.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list