From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:50:29
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:10:01 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:06:58 -0400
5 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > I don't quite understand why this would be necessary.
7 > > >
8 > > > Would "funky-slots" just be used in situations where ebuilds with
9 > > > the same PV but different PVR have different slots?
10 > > >
11 > > > Taking the gtk2/gtk3 example, I think the -r200/-r300 thing is
12 > > > only used in libraries; applications use slot deps to select
13 > > > which one they need. Paludis should not remove the -r200 version
14 > > > if it is still referenced in the depgraph, correct?
15 > >
16 > > Or maybe you are saying that Paludis will not automatically install
17 > > a new slot for a package that is already installed, even when
18 > > referenced by a slot dep?
19 >
20 > The 'standard' behaviour (which can be changed by the user) for
21 > Paludis when doing "complete" resolutions is that whenever there's a
22 > slot of something installed, it will try to bring in the newest
23 > version of that package, even if it's in a different slot. This is
24 > generally a good thing, since newer versions are supposed to be
25 > better than older versions. The problem is that now "newer" versions
26 > are being used to mean "with a different Ruby implementation" or
27 > "built in a different way", which screws up the meaning.
28
29 I think you should start by describing the problem so we all could
30 understand it, and then we can start thinking about a solution.
31
32 Is it that Paludis installs a newer SLOT even if a reverse dependency
33 explicitly requests another SLOT? Sounds like a bug to me.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny