From: "Lars S. Jensen" <larssj@××××××.dk>
To: Gentoo dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NVIDIA and /usr/lib/OpenGL.so thoughts
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:54:29
1 On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 11:29, Arcady Genkin wrote:
2 > Since we updated to the new NVIDIA drivers layout I have seen a lot of
3 > noise about it in -users and in the bug tracker. I still think that
4 > we did the right thing by moving the drivers into /opt, and I still
5 > think that the applications that don't honor run-time linker's
6 > resolution of libGL.so to /opt/nvidia/lib are broken. However, I
7 > think that we can improve the situation a bit.
8 >
9 > Some premises:
10 > 1. Drobbins voice a hypothesis that some programs (quake) have
11 > "/usr/lib/libGL.so" hardcoded and use a system call to load the
12 > lbrary.
13 Some application/configure (OpenCascade) expect that all OpenGL
14 header-files (gl.h and glu.h) or/and lib-files (libGL and libGLU) are in
15 the same dir.
16 > 2. It seems that compilation sybsystems of other programs (gltron,
17 > perhaps?) define run-time library paths at compile time by passing the
18 > linker "-rpath" option.
19 > 3. Xfree installs *symlinks*
20 > /usr/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so
21 > /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1
22 > it's important that they are symlinks.
23 >
24 > A possible solution:
25 > 1. Xfree ebuild does *not* install the symlinks.
26 > 2. Instead we create a separate package that would install just the
27 > symlinks into /usr/lib (for people that do not use NVIDIA drivers).
28 > We can name it "xfree-gl-symlinks" or just "xfree-gl".
29 > 3. For the people who use NVIDIA drivers, we make nvidia-glx pacakge
30 > install the synlinks in /usr/lib, pointing to /opt/nvidia/lib,
31 > naturally.
32 >
33 > This ain't pretty, and it's a kludge. I don't like it much, but I
34 > think that this will make lives of many users easier, at a nominal
35 > cost. If anyone can think of another way to fix the problem, I hope
36 > that a better idea exits. ;^)
37 >
38 > Comments?
39 I go for it!