From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats, SoC 2011
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:32:38
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:03:44 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Mittwoch 24 August 2011, 12:48:35 schrieb Patrick Lauer:
5 > >
6 > > If you sneakily add something to cron.daily by default you can get
7 > > pretty nice coverage. But I guess anyone trying that in Gentooland
8 > > will meet some rather unpleasant resistance :)
11 > Of course, we could place it in some blatantly obvious way into a
12 > default configuration, together with a big fat message what it does
13 > and how to quickly disable it.
14 >
15 > We'd get better coverage in an opt-out system than in an opt-in
16 > system.
17
18 And a larger number of angry users which missed the warning and now
19 have to pay for additional GPRS transfer or so. And when people use
20 GPRS rarely, they usually don't think about random apps that use
21 the connection in background.
22
23 > (First idea- package is pulled in by a default-on useflag and
24 > installs itself into cron.daily. BEFORE it runs the first time it
25 > outputs said message and asks for permission to proceed (which cannot
26 > be done in the cron job obviously but we'd find a way).)
27
28 And what if it can't ask for that? Assuming you're talking about
29 'opt-out', I guess the fallback would be to 'yes'. We don't want to end
30 up like Windows, where you get AFK for five minutes and then discover
31 the system has rebooted.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny