From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:46:42
1 On 20/05/06, Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > PMFJI, but as a user, not a security expert, I had a few thoughts that I'd
3 > like to throw in. Thanks to Patrick, he helped me to drill down some of
4 > the ideas and I present them for consideration. It's just a framework, so
5 > I will be brief
6
7 Thanks for your input. From a security point of view your scheme is
8 fine, but as pointed out by others you won't be able to selectively
9 rsync parts of the tree. That will require a signature for each
10 manifest, and a manifest for every directory. The problem I see is
11 that the manifest is going to have to include a hash for each
12 subdirectory - otherwise you open the possibility of someone replacing
13 a directory with one from the past that contains some known
14 insecurity, or corrupting the tree by swapping random directories, and
15 yet the signatures remain valid. Of course, that hash changes if you
16 allow people to rsync_exclude directories, and hence the signature
17 changes. So you can either accept that if you selectively rsync then
18 you won't be able to verify the signed tree, or accept that there is a
19 known security problem with having no signed link between parent and
20 child directories, or come up with a different scheme.
21
22 Obviously the manifests also have to be checked to make sure they're
23 valid - this is currently done for package directories at emerge time,
24 it would need to be extended to all other directories. I'd prefer the
25 checks done at sync time since that's a one time cost and you don't
26 have to figure out exactly what files will be used by each emerge
27 operation.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list