From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD : .ebuild is only bash
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:32:54
1 On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:41:13 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:12:28PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote
4 > > This whole thing is just an exercise in trying to find excuses not
5 > > to use GLEP 55.
6 >
7 > A filename should not be (ab)used as a database.
8
9 You mean we shouldn't have name, version and format in there? Because
10 those are there already. All GLEP 55 does is make the format part more
11 specific.
12
13 > 1) Let's talk generic. Right now, we're talking about EAPI. In
14 > future, what other (meta)data and characteristics will we need to
15 > know? What else will be tacked onto the filename? EAPI, and any
16 > other critical (meta)data should be declared early on in the ebuild.
17 > That's what the ebuild is for.
18
19 EAPI is special. You need to know EAPI to be able to get the rest of
20 the metadata.
21
22 > 2) Any potential ebuild processor that's incapable of looking for
23 > regex "^EAPI=" in a textfile, amd parsing the numbers that follow,
24 > has no business being used to process ebuilds.
25
26 That doesn't get you the EAPI.
29 Ciaran McCreesh