From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] {Guide,Project,Foo}XML too confusing for many devs?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:49:15
1 On Monday 26 March 2007, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Many projects have old and nasty webpages. This has been a problem within
3 > gentoo since before I arrived and probably has been a problem since we
4 > started having webpages. One of the issues I wish to address is whether
5 > or not writing webpages in XML (Guide or Project or something_else) is
6 > just too much of a barrier for many people. I've personally always been
7 > pretty much a 'copy something that works and edit the bits I need' kind of
8 > a guy. There is certainly a large body of work to steal^H^H^H^H^Hcopy
9 > from. However when something you are working on doesn't fit inside of
10 > something that has already been done it becomes very difficult to make it
11 > 'fit' into our existing XML structure.
12
13 i dont think webpages are old because of the guidexml ... more because people
14 simply forget to update them as most of our development happens beyond the
15 website space
16
17 guidexml does have a small learning curve, but i'd much rather that than
18 developers writing their own html because then nothing on our site would look
19 cohesive ... as it is actually, i dislike our web sites that dont match the
20 basic gentoo.org (*cough* overlays.g.o *cough*)
21 -mike