From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:50:56
1 On 03-10-2010 12:53, David Leverton wrote:
2 > On 2 October 2010 20:54, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
3 > <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Given the recent activity around .la files and conflict about how to
5 >> deal with them, I propose we discuss this issue in this mailing list,
6 >> and take this issue to the council.
7 >> That way, we can make a global decision, taking into account all the
8 >> arguments for and against, find a balance, opt for a policy, inform
9 >> users and developers about it and move on.
10 >
11 > While I do agree that the underlying problem we're trying to solve is
12 > worth solving, I do have a couple of small concerns about how it's
13 > being done. The first is that it seems people are judging whether a
14 > particular .la file is "needed" by checking whether anything currently
15 > in the tree needs it, but this doesn't take into account anything that
16 > /isn't/ in the tree yet.
17
18 This is a very good point. However, in the case of out-of-tree packages,
19 I think most "regular" users just use ebuilds from bugzilla (and third
20 party places like forums etc). Users that contribute their cooked
21 ebuilds should know more or less what are doing, so I guess they will
22 have the corresponding packages patched in one way or another, if they
23 require a certain .la file.
24
25 > The second is that removing .la files
26 > everywhere makes it hard for people to experiment with alternative
27 > solutions, as testing an alternative would require modifying all the
28 > affected ebuilds to stop removing them. (And yes, I am interested in
29 > doing so myself, although time constraints mean it might not
30 > happening.)
31 >
32 > Would it be too much trouble to have a standardised variable that
33 > means .la files should be kept? It maybe /shouldn't/ be exposed as a
34 > USE flag because very few people will need it, but if it's easy to
35 > implement (maybe by having an eutils function to do the removal,
36 > checking the variable first) it would remove any objections I could
37 > imagine.
38
39 This seems like a very good solution. For example - usually, people
40 building packages manually just want the build process to work. They
41 don't want to spend time making an ebuild or digging around. One being
42 able to simply
43 USE="libtool" emerge foo
44 to restore the foo's .la files would be great.
45
46 A gentoo page properly indexed in Google and explaining what to do when
47 a libtool library is not found, should take care of most.
48
49 Another positive point about an .la USE flag is that users are already
50 used to put their USE flags on bugzilla, which should help package
51 maintainers to acknowledge .la related problems.
52 >
53 > As I said, these are minor points, and I wouldn't expect people to go
54 > to great effort to satisfy them. Just something to consider.
57 Me being one of the persons that initially contributed code to allow
58 portage to fix .la files, I'm indeed happy to see the direction Gentoo
59 is heading. Libtool archives were (and still are for those not using
60 portage) a pain in the ass for cross-compilation.
61
62 Regards,
63 - Angelo