From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [packagekit] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:55:07
1 Richard Hughes wrote:
2 > I'm slightly worried about it being called a service. Is it going to
3 > be a new process that just does the mapping or is this a bad choice of
4 > words? If it is a new process then I'm not sure such a thing will
5 > catch on.
6
7 I'm not yet sure about how a mapper will keep it's data
8 fresh as the use of it is dependent on that.
9 Ignore my "service" for now.
12 > I'm also worried that a package manager has to read in and parse
13 > thousands of small files.
14
15 While you mention "package manager" - with the current concept
16 the data will not be precise enough for use with a package manager.
19 > Why did you decide to write each project as
20 > a single xml file?
21
22 - The other 99% of the database stay valid XML if a single
23 file is invalid
24
25 - To better fit the version controlled environment
28 > Parsing and reading 10,000 files (in multiple directories) might take
29 > a few seconds, and would have to be copied into memory (few Mb) to
30 > query quickly.
31
32 Correct.
35 > Which has to be invalidated if any of the files or
36 > directories change. Why didn't you just put them in a sqlite database
37 > that can be queried in a few ms, without dragging in an xml parser?
38 > Also 10,000 files take up way more space (and takes longer to install
39 > and update) than a single database file.
40
41 I like your idea about sqlite. Maybe keeping the data to edit XML
42 and query and sqlite export snapshot is something to try.
45 > XML might be
46 > useful for storing the data, but not for querying.
47
48 Good point.
52 Sebastian