From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bashrc mini HOWTO
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:58:02
1 Jonas Geiregat posted <4295006A.7000000@××××××.org>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 26 May 2005 00:47:06 +0200:
3
4 > Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>
6 >>normal bash scripts aren't sourced by portage when ebuilds are being
7 >>processed. Only PORTAGE_BASHRC ( current /etc/portage/bashrc ) is
8 >>sourced. Thus you can do cool stuff like print debug info, over-ride
9 >>default functions, and otherwise other fun stuff that normally would be a
10 >>complete PITA, especially if you don't know portage internals well.
11 >>
12 > No such file on my system, is that the reason why I should use the cvs
13 > version of portage, so the new version will source /etc/portage/bashrc
14 > when it comes out of cvs ?
15
16 The purpose is simply to provide a method for local portage users aka
17 local system admins to modify portage's behavior, if desired, without
18 delving into its innards. Thus, it won't exist by default, as it then
19 would be part of the default portage, not simply a method by which the
20 local Gentoo user can change portage's behavior without digging into
21 portage itself. <g>
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
27 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list