From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 07:21:36
1 On 01/08/2012 02:58 PM, Michael Weber wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > do you need udevd in runlevel boot at all (for sysvinit)?
5 >
6 > Given either your kernel knows its root hardware device driver or has
7 > an initrd to load needed modules to mount the root filesystem.
8 >
9 > You can have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y and let the
10 > kernel create all the /dev/{sd,sr,hd}? device files needed for
11 > /etc/init.d/{fsck,bootmisc,localmount} to check and mount /usr.
12 >
13 > Normally you can start udevd after localmount and just right before
14 > network, to persistent-network rename the interfaces.
15 >
16 > On NFS_ROOT setups, you either have network by CONFIG_IP_PNP
17 > (kernel-level ip autoconfiguration) and get your root fs from the DHCP
18 > or you have an initrd which can mount /usr.
19 >
20 > So, all you need udevd for is fancy-permissions/groups once a non-root
21 > plugs in an USB drive (which is an multiuser-nightmare by itself).
22 >
23 > It should be sufficient to load udevd after localmount has mounted
24 > /usr udevd replays all the discoveries read from the kernel and
25 > applies the permission/ownership rules.
26 >
27 > Concern is to sustain the freedom of choice that brought me to Gentoo.
28 >
29 > Please provide systemd as an option.
30 > And provide sysvinit/openrc as an option.
31 > Do __not__ make an initrd mandatory.
32
33 In any case, you won't need an initramfs unless /usr is on a separate
34 partition. Assuming that /usr is mounted before init starts, doesn't it
35 make sense to start udevd as early as possible, before modules, before
36 lvm, and before localmount? If we start udevd after localmount as you
37 suggest, wouldn't that imply that we don't support modular kernels?
38 --
39 Thanks,
40 Zac