From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <zlin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] subversion.eclass
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:12:21
1 On Saturday 16 February 2008 00:40:31 Doug Klima wrote:
2 > > For quite a while the KDE herd has had a modified version of
3 > > subversion.eclass in the kde overlay. During that time we have added the
4 > > following features to the eclass which we would like to put back in
5 > > gentoo-x86 soon. Since the changes are fairly extensive we decided to
6 > > send it to this list for review first.
7 > >
8 > > 1) ESVN_REVISION (before this people had to use ESVN_OPTIONS for this
9 > > purpose).
10 >
11 > ESVN_REPO_URI is a standard subversion URI and as such supports @HEAD,
12 > @BASE, @COMMITTED, @PREV and @REV. So this is unnecessary.
13
14 The idea is that users can set ESVN_REVISION in the environment without having
15 to modify the ebuilds. This isn't really possible with appending it to
16 ESVN_REPO_URI.
17
18 > > 2) ESVN_OFFLINE which disables svn up.
19 >
20 > Isn't this a bit of a hack? The point is for it to run svn up. Now I've
21 > added support in a local refactor that I had started today that if the
22 > working copy's revision matches the requested revision, that no svn up
23 > is performed. Obviously the situation when you have a "live" SVN ebuild
24 > would still result in an svn up, but then again "live" SVN ebuilds are
25 > frowned upon and if the person is trying to emerge a "live" SVN ebuild I
26 > would expect them to always get the latest version.
27
28 Same as above. It's a convenience for users of live ebuilds which enables them
29 to rebuild a package even when they don't have network without having to look
30 up the revision of every packages that is currently available.
31
32 > > 3) ESVN_UP_FREQ which uses GNU find to determine if the specified number
33 > > of hours has passed and only do svn up if it has. This is currently used
34 > > in the kde4svn-meta eclass for split kde ebuilds that use the same
35 > > checkout of each module.
36 >
37 > This would be handled by the feature above.
38
39 How?
40
41 > > 4) ESCM_LOGDIR for logging which revisions packages get installed with.
42 > > See [1]. Users need to explicitly enable this feature to use it.
43 >
44 > This seems like it belongs in a generic SCM framework/eclass that all
45 > SCM eclasses can support.
46
47 Not opposed to that. But what would that scm eclass do exactly?
48
52 Bo Andresen
53 Gentoo KDE dev