From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:31:51
1 >>>>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2
3 > I would like to continue discussing whether we should entirely
4 > deprecate EGO_SUM without the desire to offend anyone.
5
6 > We now have a pending GitHub PR that bumps restic to 0.14 [1]. Restic
7 > is a very popular backup software written in Go. The PR drops EGO_SUM
8 > in favor of a vendor tarball created by the proxied maintainer.
9 > However, I am unaware of any tool that lets you practically audit the
10 > 35 MiB source contained in the tarball. And even if such a tool
11 > exists, this would mean another manual step is required, which is,
12 > potentially, skipped most of the time, weakening our user's security.
13 > This is because I believe neither our tooling, e.g., go-mod.eclass,
14 > nor any Golang tooling, does authenticate the contents of the vendor
15 > tarball against upstream's go.sum. But please correct me if I am
16 > wrong.
17
18 > I wonder if we can reach consensus around un-depreacting EGO_SUM, but
19 > discouraging its usage in certain situations. That is, provide EGO_SUM
20 > as option but disallow its use if
21 > 1.) *upstream* provides a vendor tarball
22 > 2.) the number of EGO_SUM entries exceeds 1000 and a Gentoo developer
23 > maintains the package
24 > 3.) the number of EGO_SUM entries exceeds 1500 and a proxied
25 > maintainer maintains the package
26
27 These numbers seem quite large, compared to the mean number of 3.4
28 distfiles for packages in the Gentoo repository. (The median and the
29 99-percentile are 1 and 22, respectively.)
30
31 Ulrich