From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mirroring Gentoo project/team members on GitHub
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 03:03:01
1 On 08/14/15 07:15, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:01 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Don't ask me. I was against keeping the official listings in MediaWiki,
5 >> I already complained that we can't list developers who are refusing to
6 >> create a Wiki account and that we lack any proper API to access those
7 >> listings.
10 > Agree with the concern, but LDAP isn't really a full solution either.
11 > If we want to have team members who aren't developers they won't have
12 > LDAP entries in the first place.
13 >
14 That presupposes that all LDAP entries must be for current developers,
15 that is already not the case. We already have LDAP entries for retired
16 developers, why not have LDAP entries for people working with teams, but
17 no yet recruited in the canonical sense?
18
19 Might this blur the line between "official" and "unofficial" team
20 members? Perhaps, but they are already doing the work and already being
21 treated as team members by their respective teams without having been
22 formally recruited so that line is blurred already
23
24 Another option would be having entries for the teams as a whole, having
25 a multiple value field for members of that team possibly just
26 "unofficial" members. Though there are some fairly obvious ways that
27 could get messy as well.