From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:47:17
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 00:29:22 -0800
2 Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:21:54 +0100
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > you will not see it if no package use it.
8 >
9 > I guess you mean I wouldn’t see it in emerge output if no package uses
10 > it, even if it is USE-expanded? Yes, I’m aware of that. But if all the
11 > flags are listed together in one place (I forget what the file was
12 > called—cpu.flags.use.desc or something?), then I can just open that
13 > file to see the list, hence why case 2 is better IMO—put all the
14 > entries in that file for users to look at, even if no package uses
15 > them yet.
16
17 So, you're telling me that if you have a list of 90 cpu extensions, you
18 will from time to time open that list to see if there is a 91st one
19 added ? I think most people won't even notice, at best they'll look for
20 the changelog.
21
22 Isn't it better to have a script, e.g. in gentoo-x86/scripts (that
23 would be the first of this kind here I think), that would
24 "parse" /proc/cpuinfo and output 'CPU_FLAGS_...="..."' so that for a
25 first install you can simply send its output to make.conf and, if you
26 are paranoid, can use it to check if this has changed in a postsync
27 hook ?
28
29 Alexis.