From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:48:27
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:06:15PM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > For instance, the way GLEP 41 suggests doing r/o cvs is not going to work.
3 > It suggests using a single account and placing an SSH key for each arch
4 > tester in that account's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
5 text in question
6
7 "Get read-only access to the gentoo-x86 repository. This doesn't have
8 to be individual accounts, a single account, without a shell, with all
9 of their keys will be sufficiant."
10
11 Note the "doesn't have to be" and "will be sufficient", it's left open
12 to how y'all want to implement it.
13
14 > There are no provisions for key management and I cannot see an easy way to
15 > handle it. It's easy to add new keys, but how do we clean out old keys for
16 > retired arch testers? (including arch testers that "retire" without ever
17 > informing us) SSH doesn't log key ID as near as I can tell, so we have no
18 > way of tracking what keys are used and how often. Also, how do we
19 > definitively correlate an SSH key with an arch tester?
20 >
21 > Now, the same question for email -- how do we manage aliases, especially
22 > for inactive, retired and semi-retired arch testers? We could track usage
23 > in logs, but between mailing list subscriptions, bugzilla notifications and
24 > all sorts of other automated emails, that's not an accurate representation
25 > of whether an email alias is actively used or not.
26 >
27 > I talked to Lance and neither he nor I were consulted about this GLEP and
28 > how feasible the implementation is. We both are quite concerned about the
29 > issues that I've outlined above as well as others.
30 >
31 > This isn't a "we're refusing to implement this GLEP" email, btw, though I'm
32 > sure some of you will take it as such. It is, however, a "we were never
33 > consulted regarding implementation details, so there are still issues that
34 > need to be worked out before this GLEP can go anywhere" email.
35
36 Cvs concerns above are all based upon doing single account for cvs ro;
37 again, it's stated as an option (iow, the option is left up to y'all).
38
39 It's not mandating anything on you for cvs, reread it if you don't
40 believe me. It's stating the base, that they only need the users to
41 have cvs ro access...
42
43 Either way, it's word games, and yes, it's kind of retarded.
44 ~harring