From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] First (experimental) 17.1 profiles news item for review (v2)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:34:47
1 W dniu czw, 21.12.2017 o godzinie 05∶29 +0000, użytkownik Duncan
2 napisał:
3 > Michał Górny posted on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 14:40:27 +0100 as excerpted:
4 >
5 > > A new set of 17.1 amd64 profiles has been added to the Gentoo
6 > > repository. Those profiles switch to a more standard 'no SYMLINK_LIB'
7 > > multilib layout,
8 > > and require explicit migration as described below. They are considered
9 > > experimental at the moment, and have a fair risk of breaking your
10 > > system. We would therefore like to ask our users to test them on their
11 > > non-production ~amd64 systems.
12 > >
13 > > In those profiles, the lib->lib64 compatibility symlink is removed.
14 > > The 'lib' directory becomes a separate directory, that is used for
15 > > cross-arch and native non-library packages (gcc, clang) and 32-bit
16 > > libraries on the multilib profile (for better compatibility with
17 > > prebuilt x86 packages).
20 > In all this I don't see an answer to one question:
21 >
22 > Will this eventually be the only supported choice, or is the
23 > compatibility-symlinked version going to be supported going forward too?
24 > If it's to be only-supported, what's the timeline?
25
26 The former. We'll make a timeline when the profiles are tested
27 and stable.
28
29 > Here's why I'm asking: I'm on nomultilib and already have usrmerge (tho
30 > reverse, with / being canonical and /usr -> .), and (s)bin merge, so I
31 > already have a single canonical /bin and a single canonical /lib64, with
32 > various symlinks making the other paths work as well.
33 >
34 > So there's no reason or benefit to me splitting /lib and /lib64 again, as
35 > that would go against the concept of the usr and sbin merges I've already
36 > done, and the long-time lib merges that gentoo has had on amd64 since
37 > before I switched to gentoo in 2004. I've found I quite /like/ having a
38 > single bin dir and a single lib dir for everything, and this would undo
39 > that, forcing me to mentally track separate lib locations once again.
40
41 Custom setups were never really supported. It may work, it may not.
42 If you report a bug, it may be fixed or someone may close it as INVALID
43 or UPSTREAM. In particular, you'll probably have to deal with upstreams
44 yourself.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny