From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing debianutils from profiles
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 10:20:34
1 On Sunday 03 August 2003 03:10, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > since coreutils provides 'readlink' now, do we still need debianutils ?
3 > the files it currently provides are:
4 > /bin/tempfile
5 > /bin/mktemp
6 > /bin/run-parts
7 > /usr/sbin/savelog
8 > /usr/sbin/mkboot
9 > /sbin/installkernel
10 > i know we used 'readlink' in portage and in baselayout, but since coreutils
11 > takes care of that, why not punt this pkg ?
12 > only thing i can think of is maybe 'tempfile' and 'mktemp' are used, but i
13 > could always put together some small bashscripts to add to baselayout to
14 > take care of those ...
15 > -mike
16
17 I don't think a bashscript is useful for mktemp. It is basically a wrapper
18 around a libc function (mkstemp). There are various security considerations
19 with mktemp, so hacking together one in bash is probably not smart. I
20 personally use that command in some of my scripts so I think the command
21 should stay. I do not know though, whether any part of system uses it.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Researcher