From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 23:45:38
1 On 09/06/16 09:08, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >
3 >> This could lead to a future where the Gentoo tree is largely
4 >> superseded. Every user would just have their own repository, where
5 >> they could pick and choose packages from other users. The Gentoo tree
6 >> would just focus on a high-quality repository of the basic/core things
7 >> that everybody needs. Gentoo devs would spend most of their time
8 >> maintaining curated small and useful repositories.
9 >
10 > [...]
11 >
12 >> The final step is the most difficult (but then again we might never
13 >> get so far). It is two-fold. First we make the core/base repository.
14 >> Then we identify important subsets that can be logically separated
15 >> into repositories, and do this.
18 > Sigh. Every 2 years somebody else comes up with the same silly idea.
19 >
20 > 1) Who defines what everybody needs?
21 > 2) How do you enforce security and/or qa requirements on the rest?
22 > 3) Will you allow non-core dependencies? What guarantees are made there?
23 > 4) How do you make sure that different split-out repos actually work together?
24 > 5) "logically separated subsets" means either "loss of functionality" or
25 > "impossible to do"
26 >
27 > Independent of how many magic tools you whip up this will be a significant
28 > step down in functionality and quality, and a big step towards a big
29 > unmanageable steaming pile of cr...
30
31 Even excepting the significant technical issues such as dependencies and
32 security issues, even something as simple as versioning, if interpreted
33 differently between users, could prove difficult to overcome.
34
35 Not to mention SLOTting...
38 Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wraeth@g.o>
39 GnuPG Key: D6180C26