From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: wizardedit@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 21:39:36
1 On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 04:27:31PM -0500, Austin English wrote:
2 > (Note: serious discussion, please take systemd trolling elsewhere).
3 >
4 > While having the pleasure of working with some proprietary software
5 > recently, I was asked to run `service foo restart`, and was surprised to
6 > see:
7 > foobar ~ # service foo restart
8 > * service: service `foo' does not exist
9
10 You saw this because "service" is really rc-service. At some point in
11 the past, I was asked to add the "service" command to OpenRC, and all
12 it is is a synonym for rc-service.
13
14 > Since `systemctl restart foo` works, I had a workaround anyway.
15 >
16 > Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
17 > supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I can
18 > tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init systems. I.e.,
19 > Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via init-system-helpers
20 > CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via initscripts
21 > OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd (according to #suse)
22 >
23 > I'd like to propose moving `service` out of OpenRC and into a separate
24 > package that OpenRC and systemd can both use. It's very possible that we
25 > could simply package/use another distro's scripts (I haven't evaluated
26 > that though).
27
28 I would support this. "service" should be a command, separate from any
29 service manager, that can be a wrapper for multiple service managers.
30
31 It isn't something that the service managers have to care about, it
32 would just be a convenience tool for users.
33
34 I can start setting up for this as soon as OpenRC 0.33 by removing the
35 service binary from OpenRC.
36
37 Thanks,
38