From: Menno Deij <menno@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Correction to Desktop guide (?)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:16:27
1 Hi,
2
3 I was using your desktop guide to setup sound on my machine. Although
4 the guide uses KDE as an example, I used Gnome (1.4). This shouldn't
5 affect the way sound has to be installed though, 'cause that's where I
6 stranded. First of all, in the Alsa section of the document, it is said
7 that modules should be specified in both /etc/modules.autoload and in
8 /etc/modules.d/aliases. In both cases the same module has to be
9 specified (in the example the snd-emu10k1 is used). When update-modules
10 is run both are added to /etc/modules.conf and during boot the modules
11 in /etc/modules.autoload are loaded before the modules from the
12 /etc/modules.conf , which results in the error "Alsa drivers already
13 loaded".
14 Therefore the modules should be specified in either one of the two
15 abovementioned files, and even better is to specify them in the
16 /etc/modules.d/alsa file, which is also processed during update-modules.
17 Another thing I had to change in Gnome to get sound up and running was
18 to specify that it should NOT load a sound server during startup (in the
19 control center), because it loads ESD by default, which sort of
20 conflicts with Alsa (not sure, but when I killed the esd process, sound
21 came on again).
22 Anyway, just FYI...
23
24 Gr,
25
26 Menno Deij
27
28 (ps, I'm a severe linux newbie, so what is stated above might contain
29 some obvious mistakes, if so, sorry...)