From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: Viktor Lakics <viktor@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Staying with gcc2.95. Is it possible?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:45:57
1 On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Viktor Lakics wrote:
2
3 > Dear Devs,
4 >
5 > NAive question: What happens if someone stays with gcc2.95? If I
6 > pin gcc in the world file, upgrades will still happen?
7
8 Unless you upgrade your profile, gcc won't be upgraded to 3.2 (the 1.4
9 default).
10
11 > What is the disadvantage (besides not using new gcc optimizations
12 > etc) of staying with the old gcc?
13
14 The C++ front-end in 3.2 is much better. Very few apps don't compile
15 with 2.95.3, and are by far outnumbered by the apps that don't compile
16 with 3.2.
17
18 I guess we'll have to support 2.95.3 for a good while to come, but this is
19 Gentoo; changes happen and they happen quickly. Keep abreast :)
20
21 Kind regards,
22
23 Karl T