From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE defaults
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:29:58
1 On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:18:10 -0700,
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
8 > > Any chance of per-package USE defaults support? That's much more
9 > > useful to me.
10 >
11 > Attached to bug 61732 there's a patch that implements this via a new
12 > IUSE_DEFAULTS ebuild variable.
13
14 I see USE_ORDER becomes "...:pkg:conf:iuse_defaults:..." in your
15 patch. Have you considered using "...:pkg:iuse_defaults:conf:..."
16 instead? Imo, the feature would better this way, because:
17
18 - one would still benefit of the package defaults when using a
19 make.conf with USE="-* ...". This would be a good thing especially
20 when a "+foo" default has been used to replace an old IUSE="nofoo".
21
22 - one would get the "best" flags everywhere when a global flag, for
23 instance a library flag, which is good in general (and thus that people
24 set in their make.conf) is just not the best alternative in the context
25 of one particular package.
26
27 And also, it just sounds more logical/intuitive to me that some
28 per-package defaults are only overridable at a per-package level.
29
30 Sure, this may also complicates life of a user who don't want "libfoo"
31 at all, if the "libfoo" flag is set per-default in 20 packages he uses.
32 But i would expect this won't happen; flags which are good defaults in
33 general would rather stay in make.defaults i guess.
36 TGL.
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list