From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more precise dependencies
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:34:51
1 On Thursday 19 September 2002 15:18, Yannick Koehler wrote:
2 > Is there plan to based the dependencies of portage on the real files
3 > required instead of other packages required? At the current time I use the
4 > fake package installed option but was wondering if such enhancement was
5 > planned inside gentoo portage.
6 >
7 > ex: I install my software by hand without using gentoo it created a
8 > libtest.so and is inside the /usr/lib, then I merge a package which require
9 > libtest.so now I could set a dependency on a package containing the
10 > libtest.so but I'd like not to install or re-install that lib. Today I say
11 > that the package containing the libtest.so is install even if it is not
12 > from gentoo point of view but it would be nice that Gentoo Portage figure
13 > it out by itself. Also if the libtest.so wasn't to be found, then Gentoo
14 > Portage would have a way to figure out which package will generate such
15 > libtest.so needed.
16 >
17 > I kind of understand that doing this trick require a lot more information
18 > about dependency both compile and runtime inside the ebuild files and
19 > therefore I think that adding this feature would also require tools to
20 > figure out compile/runtime dependencies. Probably the configure and
21 > makefile are containing most of that information already and could be
22 > extracted from there.
23 >
24 > It's not a P1 feature, more likely a very low priority feature but I
25 > believe it could add even more flexibility to Portage.
26
27 To find out which "AFTER COMPILATION" which packages are necessary we could
28 use the depfind tool that comes with rpm. The problem is that only works
29 after compilation. What could be possible is to specify a required file, and
30 to specify a package that provides this file. Libraries have
31 version-dependent names, while a package might compile with different
32 versions. This means this kind of dependencies has only limited use.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze
38 Junior Researcher