From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@×××××××××××.net, gentoo-user@×××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Testing *true* transparent .so updates
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:03:28
1 Hi All!
2
3 I just upgraded my glibc while in X, but this time using portage 1.8.0 and
4 without any of the pkg-pre/postinst hacks that we have used in the glibc
5 ebuild. I'd like developers to test this new functionality. Here's how.
6
7 First, cvs update or emerge rysnc.
8
9 Edit /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and remove the glibc mask at the top.
10
11 Start X; start lots of other applications. Fire up XMMS and start playing some
12 music.
13
14 Emerge sys-libs/glibc-2.2.4-r8. This glibc includes the recent security fix
15 and doesn't have any of the pkg-pre/postinst quirks we've been using.
16
17 If things work as they did for me, about an hour later you'll have a new glibc
18 on your system, and absolutely nothing will die. *Please*, let me know how
19 this works for you. And of course, this is for the adventurous only; that's
20 why I have glibc-2.2.4-r8 package.masked.
21
22 Best Regards,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
26 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org