From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:08:43
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 02:43, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/24/2011 08:24 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> the defines in question are internal to zlib.  packages relying on them
4 >> are broken, plain and simple.
5 >
6 > Then fix *them*, not zlib.
7
8 they are being fixed already
9
10 > Then why did you "fix" zlib instead of those bad packages?
11
12 i have no idea what you're talking about. they're both getting fixed.
13
14 >>> Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage
15 >>> software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr&&
16 >>> make install", also won't build.
17 >>
18 >> send the fix to the upstream maintainer
19 >
20 > Maybe 5% of users know how to code.  The rest doesn't.
21
22 then file a bug report. it isn't rocket science.
23
24 >>> It's a mess right now and it just doesn't look right.  The bug that
25 >>> deals with it was locked from public view:
26 >>
27 >> because you keep presenting the same flawed ideas and ignore the
29 >> in fact, all of the answers i posted above i already posted to the bug.
30 >
31 > You ignore the suggestions, which is the reason the same arguments pop up
32 > over and over again.
33
34 i read your position, evaluated it, and found it to be inferior. you
35 cannot accept that, thus you continue to waste time.
36
37 > The core issue is that ~arch is turning into a testing
38 > ground for upstreams rather than for Gentoo packaging.
39
40 if you want to restart the long thread about what ~arch is actually
41 for, then go for it. it has come up from time to time and developers
42 are generally fine with the current model.
43
44 > keep something in portage unmasked that is *known* to break packages
45
46 ~arch is known to have bugs. if you don't want bugs, don't use ~arch.
47 we do not operate on a "if you broke anything at all, it must get
48 reverted" development style. you simply need to accept the reality.
49
50 further, in order to get p.masked, it has to be a fairly wide
51 breakage. in this case, we've got a whopping ~15 bugs. half of which
52 are already fixed.
53
54 > *especially* if it's a beta release of an important base library (which zlib
55 > 1.2.5.1 certainly is).
56
57 there hasn't been a single bug filed about 1.2.5 vs 1.2.5.1. stop
58 making up issues that don't exist.
59
60 > But you ignore that repeatedly.
61
62 back up your position with actual data and perhaps someone will listen.
63
64 until you have something new to say, there isn't anything left for me to cover.
65 -mike