From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ada compiler: split complete, naming suggestions for gnat-gpl?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:39:13
1 On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:44:41 +0100
2 George Shapovalov <george@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1. 2005 stands for the standard revision namme (as in Ada 2005)
5 > really rather than for a particular version.
6
7 To elaborate for those unfamiliar with Ada; this is the same sort of
8 thing as C89, C99. Enforcing the previous 83 standard over the current
9 95 standard can be done by the switch -gnat83; I imagine the 2005
10 release will add a switch -gnat95.
11
12 > I see two alternatives here:
13 >
14 > 1. gnat-gpl-2005.1. This keeps it closer to upstream, makes it look
15 > like a more real version number and allows trivial increment if an
16 > update is released soon (the nearest one is likely to be 2006.1
17 > already although :))
18
19 If the 2005 is the standard version then they won't change it to 2006.
20 If they do change it to 2006, then the 2005 is the release date not a
21 reference to the standard - in which case it is the upstream release
22 number :)
23
24 > 2. gnat-gpl-3.4.5.1 This uses the backend gcc version as a base,
25 > adding a "gnat release indicator" to track gnat-gpl specific changes.
26 > Further from upstream naming but simplifies SLOT logic in eclass a
27 > lot (in the long run, no need to issue one more conditional for
28 > another new version).
29 >
30 > I am leaning more towards option one (gnat-gpl-2005.1), for
31 > "consistency with upstream" reason, as it will be (potentially) less
32 > confusing to the users. However I am interested in opinions..
33
34 If the 2005 does turn out to be a release date rather than the
35 standard name, then it makes sense as a release version; gnat-gpl-2005
36 would be enough. Later releases can add a point revision if necessary;
37 if you do 2005.1 now, what happens if upstream release
38 gnat-gpl-2005.1.tgz?
39
40 Another possibility is gnat-gpl-3.4.5.2005, but I'm not sure that it's
41 worth it.
44 Kevin F. Quinn
48 Kevin F. Quinn