From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New to Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:53:45
1 Hello... I've been lurking around on the mailing list for probably over a
2 month now and have been playing around with Gentoo 1.0_rc4_pre2 under
3 vmware. I would like to convert my Linux desktop machine and test box to
4 Gentoo and have a couple questions:
5
6 First, how does one successfully upgrade a default 1.0_rc4_pre2 install to
7 the newest version of portage? I tried doing an rsync of the portage tree
8 then doing a ebuild merge but whenever I try to merge other packages, etc I
9 get weird python errors. I saw the mention of a last minute python patch on
10 the mailing list and wonder if it is related. How exactly have all of you
11 been upgrading to the latest portage versions? :) Also I've seen mention of
12 work on autodependencies, etc... how far has that work progressed?
13
14 Second, is the ebuild file format now stable enough for people to start
15 package development? is there a quick howto coming down the pipeline
16 explaining the system or is the only documention to RTFS? ;)
17
18 Third, I don't see any mention of DHCP in networking scripts. Is there a
19 clean way to quickly implement DHCP client support in the existing scripts
20 without rm'ing the template eth0 example?
21
22 Thanks for your time...
23
25 Bruce A. Locke