From: Anton Starikov <A.Starikov@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] couple proposals (xinitrc.d and comatibility with RH-like init)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:01:26
1 Hi!
2
3 I think it could be not so bad to implement two small features:
4
5 1) Like in many distributions, /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ directory,
6 where scripts ("services") which must be run with X for any user.
7 OK, GDM support it by default, but the rest of DMs and startx script -
8 not. Also, for example, xfce4 session trying to exec it one more time.
9 So, I guess it could be not so bad to make it as standard feature in
10 gentoo, and fix it for all DMs and startx script. Also it is possible to
11 put scripts for xinitrc.d in some packages. For example imwheel. XXkb
12 and so on. Things which you would like probably to start with X in any
13 case, once you merge them. It just flexible solution in SysV style.
14
15 2) to implement some basic backward compatibility with SysV init with
16 RH-like style (/etc/rc.d/rcX.d). Just to add some service (script) in
17 gentoo-style for /etc/init.d which will start/stop services from
18 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, for example, when this service start/stop. Because
19 some programs(mostly comercial) use it by default. Even when you merge
20 Win4Lin from ebuild it still put scripts in RH-like init. Of course you
21 can rewrite them. but...it seems that ebuild for something like
22 "rhinit-compat" could be better solution. In case when you use more than
23 one program that use RH-like init, and time to time make update of such
24 programs. You will avoid editing of scripts.
25
26 Actually, I have both features implemented by myself on my machines for
27 year. But I'm tired after each update of KDM for example, go and edit
28 Xsession from KDM :)
29 If there some interest, I can give patches for current versions of DMs
30 to maintainers of correspondent ebuilds.
31
32 Anton Starikov
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list