From: maarten@×××××××××××××××.be
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] XMMS license change?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:20:06
1 Hi,
2
3 XMMS is mentioned as having license GPL-2 in our ebuilds. However unless
4 we disable the MP3 input plugin, sale of a CD containing XMMS could be
5 infringing on the MP3 patent owner's rights. Non-commercial use is OK but
6 please remember that there are several commercial initiatives already in
7 Gentoo and we wouldn't want to be held liable for providing incorrect
8 licensing information leading to patent infringement.
9
10 Do we somehow either disable MP3 in the ebuild (make a USE flag?) or
11 change the license to something else?
12
13 cheers,
14 maarten