From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:54:52
1 On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 06:37 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Nor are most Gentoo projects controlled by Gentoo. Try asking for a new
3 > feature in Portage sometime if you think that Gentoo has any say over
4 > how projects are developed...
5
6 Uhh...
7
8 Bug #167667
9 Bug #167668
10
11 Just because the features that you ask for aren't done, don't mean
12 features aren't added on request. Sure, my feature requests are much
13 simpler than "add some new ability to dependency resolution" to
14 implement, but they prove the point that no matter how much bitching and
15 whining people do, the portage team *is* responsive and does fill
16 requests in a timely manner. It's even easier if you provide patches.
17
18 The EAPI=0 document was supposed to be a QA project. What it is now, I
19 have no idea. While the current PMS project is not what we asked for
20 and *is* outside the scope of Gentoo, due to our wishing to still *have*
21 a specification of EAPI=0, we are wanting to look at other possibilities
22 for getting one done. What the Council is interested in is a
23 specification of expected behavior of an EAPI=0 compatible package
24 manager. At this point, I don't give a damn who writes it or what
25 implementation, if any, matches it 100%. I am pretty sure it'll be
26 *very* close to current portage functionality, side-effects and bugs
27 excluded, of course. We asked for a specification. If the PMS team is
28 unable or unwilling to provide us with what we asked under the terms we
29 asked for it, we're going to pursue other options. We can't control
30 PMS< but we also don't have to sit around and do nothing to reach the
31 Council's goal of an approved specification for EAPI=0, a goal which I
32 believe some people lost sight of some time ago.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
37 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
38 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
39 Gentoo Foundation