From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ekeyword and ordering
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:03:38
1 Lars Weiler posted
2 <20050609133722.GN10291@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:37:22 +0200:
4
5 > * foser <foser@g.o> [05/06/09 15:19 +0200]:
6 >> The point is that with his reordering implicit information was lost for
7 >> no particular purpose.
8 >
9 > If you store implicit information in the keywords, then make them
10 > explicit. That involves, find another way to store the data (like in
11 > metadata), or discuss here about another way to store that data in the
12 > keywords.
13 >
14 > Could you give an example about the implicit data you store in the
15 > keywords? So we can think about a solution.
16
17 Um... I expect foser considered that understood from the thread context.
18 The "implicit data" under discussion is maintainer's arch and to a lessor
19 degree order of arch adoption of the package. Maintainer arch was
20 /traditionally/ listed first, with archs added left to right, so the
21 newest arch added was always to the right.
22
23 However, as the many arguments and examples in this thread demonstrate,
24 that was never a reliable method for conveying the information in the
25 first place, thus we have the proposal to make it alphabetical ordering,
26 and to put maintainer's arch info in the metadata.xml file. So far, the
27 change seems to be favored.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list