From: Marc Soda <marc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:18:01
1 Amen brother.
2
3 On 2002.03.08 11:51 Erik Grinaker wrote:
4 > On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 16:55, Sean Mitchell wrote:
5 >
6 > > Well, the rest of that whole post aside, many of us have had trouble
7 > with
8 > > grub because we have no separate /boot partition. In my case, my
9 > /boot
10 > > partition is on /dev/hde1, which grub just can't seem to find.
11 > >
12 > > I like grub, but I've had much more success with lilo.
13 >
14 > This is all explained in the grub documentation
15 > (http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.90/html_chapter/grub_toc.html).
16 >
17 > The biggest problem people have with GRUB is that they fail to realize
18 > what root in the GRUB config means - it is not the system root, but
19 > the
20 > root where the kernel images reside. In other words, your boot
21 > partition.
22 >
23 > Your config entry should be for exampe "root (hd0,0)", where hd0,0 is
24 > your boot partition.
25 >
26 > When you specify your kernel image you must do this relative to your
27 > boot root, which usually should be /<your-kernel-image>. And then you
28 > pass your *system root* as a boot argument, for example ;
29 >
30 > kernel /bzkernel-2.4.18-2 root=/dev/hda5
31 >
32 > Now, in order to avoid all this confusion (or perhaps add to it :)),
33 > you
34 > can create a symlink from /boot/boot to /boot. This allows you to
35 > specify /boot/<kernelimage> in your grub config. To do this, issue the
36 > command "cd /boot && ln -s . boot".
37 >
38 > now it will work to specify your kernel image as, for example ;
39 >
40 > kernel /boot/bzkernel-2.4.18-2 root=/dev/hda5
41 >
42 > GRUB is far superior to LILO in pretty much every conceivable way, as
43 > long as you read the documentation and understand how it works. And
44 > when
45 > you do so you will quickly see that LILO is a child's toy in
46 > comparison.
49 > Feel free to add this to the docs...
50 >
51 > --
52 >
53 > Erik Grinaker
54 > Freelance UNIX/Linux systems consultant
55 >
56 > "Perfection is acheived not when there is nothing more to add, but
57 > rather when there is nothing more to take away"
58 > - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
62 > gentoo-dev mailing list
63 > gentoo-dev@g.o